Lubertha Johnson: Lubertha Johnson is one of our Rental Assistance Demonstration Housing Properties.

Find Housing > Housing Choice Voucher Participants > FAQ's

What is Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance?
Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance is a government subsidy that allows eligible families to rent in the private market and pay approximately 30% to 40% of their income toward rent. The SNRHA pays the remainder of the rent directly to the landlord.

Can anyone apply for Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) rental assistance?
Yes, however, please check the SNRHA "how to apply web page" regarding HCV, Public Housing, and Affordable waitlist statuses and applications. For more information about these programs, please call the SNRHA’s Admissions Department at (702) 477-3100.

Can I apply for both housing choice voucher (Section 8) and the family public housing program?
Yes, if both wait lists were open.

Can I apply for both housing choice voucher and elderly/disabled housing?
Yes, if both lists were open.

How do I apply for housing?
Please visit our How To Apply? webpage on our website.

How do I find out the status of my application or my place on the waiting list?
If you are an applicant, you may login to our SNRHA RentCafe Portal or call (702) 477-3100, option 2 to check your application status. Please have your client ID or social security number ready.

How long does it take to receive a voucher from the SNRHA?
The amount of time it takes to receive a housing choice voucher depends on funding availability based on either new funding or turnover of vouchers. Once funding is available, the next applicants on the Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) wait list are pulled by date/time of application and by highest preference points. Prior to a voucher being issued, the client and all family members must be certified as eligible. Please note, if you owe a Housing Authority a debt, you cannot be housed. Due to high demands for rental assistance under this program, it’s hard to predict how long the wait will be once you are on the waitlist.

What is a client ID or T-Code?
A client ID is a number assigned to every SNRHA applicant, participant and resident. This number is requested by SNRHA staff anytime an applicant, participant or resident speaks with a SNRHA staff member. It can also be used to check on an applicant's place on the waiting list. This number will also be on all correspondence from our agency after you are placed on the waiting list. The same number will stay with you after you receive housing assistance.

Does the SNRHA check an applicant's past history in order to determine if he/she is eligible for housing?
Yes. The SNRHA checks an applicant's past rental history, when he/she applies for our public housing, voucher program and/or affordable housing program. We also conduct a criminal records check to help determine if an applicant is eligible for housing, this may include fingerprints. If an applicant is determined not eligible for housing, or a participant is terminated or resident is evicted, he/she has the right to file an appeal with the SNRHA’s hearing office. For more information on filing an appeal, you may contact SNRHA’s Hearing Officer at (702) 477-3100.

How long is a housing choice voucher good for?
Once a voucher is issued, a participant has 90 days to find a suitable unit before the voucher expires. The elderly or disabled have 120 days. However, under certain situations, SNRHA will provide an extension of another 30 days. The request for the extension must be received PRIOR to the voucher expiration date. No extension can be provided after the voucher expires and you will NOT have a right to a hearing.

Can I use housing choice voucher (HCV) to move outside of Las Vegas/Clark County?
Yes. A housing choice voucher may be used in any area in the United States that has a Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program. Click here for our Portability Brochure.

What size unit is appropriate for my household?

Housing Choice Voucher assistance recipients are required to follow certain occupancy standards that limit the number of residents according to the number of bedrooms. The following is a basic guide (exceptions follow): Family size/ Eligible for:

1 person/ 1 BR or studio
2 people/ 1 BR
3 people/ 2 BR
4 people/ 2 BR
5 people/ 3 BR
6 people/ 3 BR
7 people/ 4 BR

Basically, the occupancy standards are two people per bedroom. A living room will not be counted as a bedroom, except in studios. The head of household and spouse or partner shall be entitled to one bedroom. Household member of different gender (other than the head/co-head or spouse) shall be provided a separate bedroom. Voucher sizes are not increased when adding adult members into the household whether the adult is a family member or not. Adult is defined as 18-years of age or older.

After I receive my voucher, how do I begin receiving rental assistance?
To begin receiving housing assistance, you must do the following: Find a unit you'd like to rent from a landlord willing to participate in the Housing Choice Voucher Program. You can find units on your own or use our GoSection8.com unit listing system. Please read your Deconcentration Brochure carefully to ensure you make an informed choice in your unit selection. You will be required to stay in your unit for one year.

Complete and sign a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA) with the landlord. The RFTA packet provided by SNRHA at your briefing MUST be completed in all areas. All required documents listed on the RFTA cover checklist must be attached, including a signed lease by you and your potential owner/manager with no effective date. The effective date cannot be prior to a passed HQS Initial Inspection of your unit. Please ensure that you receive and keep any receipts for security deposits and understand the terms for receiving these funds back if you are not approved for the unit by either the owner or SNRHA. Once we receive the RFTA, the average time to schedule inspection is 10 days. We will not schedule an inspection prior to determining rent reasonableness and confirming that the utilities are connected. If you move into the unit “prior” to a passed Initial HQS inspection, you will be responsible for 100% of the rent for any days prior to the passed inspection and approved contract. If the rent is within the payment standards (See Payment Standards) defined by the SNRHA, or if it does not exceed 40% of your adjusted income, an inspection of the unit by the SNRHA will be scheduled. You will receive a call to inform you of the date and time range for the inspection.
If the rent is within the payment standards (See Payment Standards) defined by the SNRHA, or if it does not exceed 40% of your adjusted income, an inspection of the unit by the SNRHA will be scheduled. You will receive a call to inform you of the date and time range for the inspection.

What will I be expected to pay for rent?
Housing Choice Voucher (Section 8) recipients are expected to pay 30% to 40% of their adjusted total household income for rent. All income changes must be reported through Rent Cafe onlineportal.snvrha.org within 10 days of any change.

Does the SNRHA pay my rental assistance to me or my landlord?
The SNRHA pays your rental assistance to the landlord on the first of each month. You must also pay your share of the rent each month. Failure to do so can lead to termination of your rental assistance.

What happens if my income or family composition changes after I begin receiving rental assistance? Whenever your income changes or you have a change in family composition (persons moving in or out of your household, including a new spouse) you are required to report the change through Rent Cafe onlineportal.snvrha.org within 10 days. The SNRHA will determine if and when a change in rent is required. You are not allowed to move anyone into your unit without prior written approval except a child that is yours by birth, adoption or foster care. This includes a spouse or adult children. Please remember to notify your caseworker immediately of a request to add a family member and your landlord/owner, as both must approve the addition.

How often is my income reviewed?
Every household that receives housing assistance must undergo an annual recertification. You will receive a notice regarding this approximately 30-45 days prior to your scheduled recertification date. We will also send you forms that you are required to complete and return in order to verify your income and continued eligibility for the program. When you receive this request for information, you must respond by the due dates stated in the letter and have the documents completed. When you arrive for your appointment you must bring everyone over 18, all with proof of income etc. You will sign-in at the front desk and be taken to the briefing in which your packet will be reviewed. Failure to attend your appointment (or mail in your packet if disabled) may lead to termination of your rental assistance.

What happens if my unit needs repairs?
You should notify your landlord immediately if your unit is in need of a repair. If violations are found at the time of an initial or annual inspection conducted by the SNRHA, a letter will be sent to your landlord with a copy to you. The violations must be corrected within 30 days for non-emergencies and 24 hours for emergencies. Our office will conduct a re-inspection to verify that the items have been corrected. If you contact your landlord/owner and they do not respond within a reasonable timeframe, please contact your SNRHA caseworker. Please ensure that you have called the manager/owner prior to contacting our office for any repairs. Utilities must be kept on in the unit at all times.

How long can I remain in the Housing Choice Vouchers (Section 8) program?
Current program rules allow you to continue to receive housing assistance as long as you are income-eligible and as long as you fulfill the tenant obligations established by U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the program. You will lose your assistance when your income rises to the point that your portion of the rent matches or exceeds the full amount of the rent for six months or if you are terminated from the program for violating the rules, including being evicted for cause.

What if I want to move at the end of my lease?

  1. You must be in good standing with your landlord.
  2. Complete and Submit the Intent to Vacate form.
What if my landlord/owner wants me to move?
  1. Your landlord must submit to the participant a 30 day notice which states the date they need the participant to vacate.
  2. The participant needs to submit that letter to SNRHA.

Housing Choice Voucher Participants

Find HCV Housing
HCV Forms
How Can We Help You?